As an affiliate of NAEYC, we hold to their vision, mission, values, and strategic priorities as follows:
All young children thrive and learn in a society dedicated to ensuring they reach their full potential.
NAEYC promotes high-quality early learning for all children, birth through age 8, by connecting practice, policy, and research. We advance a diverse, dynamic early childhood profession and support all who care for, educate, and work on behalf of young children.
Values and Beliefs
Our core values are defined in the NAEYC Code of Ethical Conduct and are deeply rooted in the early childhood profession. In addition, we seek to be a high–performing, inclusive organization that is enriched by and continually grows from our commitment to diversity, as embodied by our core beliefs.
We uphold these values and beliefs in all our interactions and initiatives:
- Appreciate childhood as a unique and valuable stage of the human life cycle.
- Base our work on knowledge of how children develop and learn.
- Appreciate and support the bond between the child and family.
- Recognize that children are best understood and supported in the context of family, culture, community, and society.
- Respect the dignity, worth, and uniqueness of each individual (child, family member, and colleague).
- Respect diversity in children, families, and colleagues.
- Recognize that children and adults achieve their full potential in the context of relationships that are based on trust and respect.
- Excellence and Innovation—We are imaginative risk takers willing to challenge assumptions while being accountable to our mission and fiscally responsible.
- Transparency—We act with openness and clarity.
- Reflection—We consider multiple sources of evidence and diverse perspectives to review past performance, note progress and successes, and engage in continuous quality improvement.
- Equity and Opportunity—We advocate for policies, practices, and systems that promote full and inclusive participation. We confront biases that create barriers and limit the potential of children, families, and early childhood professionals.
- Collaborative Relationships—We share leadership and responsibility in our work with others. We commit time and effort to ensure diverse participation and more effective outcomes. We act with integrity, respect, and trust.
- 1.High-Quality Early Learning
Goal: Children birth through age 8 have equitable access to developmentally appropriate, high-quality early learning.
- Developmentally appropriate practice is seen as indispensable for kindergarten through third grade.
- Governing policies reflect comprehensive approaches to providing equitable access to high-quality early learning, with particular focus on children living in poverty, multilingual children, children of color, and children with disabilities.
- Use of culturally, linguistically, and developmentally appropriate assessments and assessment practices for children birth through third grade.
- Increased public demand for developmentally appropriate, high-quality early learning birth through age 8.
- 2.The Profession
Goal: The early childhood education profession exemplifies excellence and is recognized as vital and performing a critical role in society.
- Professional preparation and development for birth through age 8 educators is aligned and grounded in NAEYC’s standards and delivered in innovative ways.
- Skills, knowledge, competencies and qualifications are agreed upon and used to define the early care and education profession.
- Early childhood professionals are diverse, effective educators and leaders working within a compensation and recognition system that supports their excellence.
- Professional development and preparation systems support seamless progression for early care and education professionals to advance their education, professional learning and careers.
- 3.Organizational Advancement
Goal: AYCE as an affiliate of NAEYC is a highly valued, credible, and visible organization.
- Early childhood educators seek NAEYC and AYCE as their desired professional association.
- Young and diverse early childhood educators are drawn to the value NAEYC and AYCE present in its membership benefits.
- Overall membership engagement and satisfaction increases across geography and demographics.
- Members access and purchase NAEYC and AYCE products, resources, and professional development solutions at an increased rate across emerging platforms.
- 4.Organizational Excellence
Goal: NAEYC reflects excellence in all aspects of organizational health and vitality.
- The National Dialogue results in a streamlined affiliate system that operates at the highest capacity, effectively serving early childhood professionals at the local, state, and national levels.
- Components report experiencing the national component as intentional in its effort to engage in reciprocal communications around matters that cut across all components.
- NAEYC’s governance structure is strong. National board members are accountable for the diversity, effectiveness, fiscal health, and sustainability of the organization.
- Staff report a shared understanding and accountability for a high-performing, inclusive organization, including an understanding of the vision, mission, and values.
- Members, customers, and staff report NAEYC’s information and communication technology systems are reliable, user-friendly, support their work effectively, and meet their needs.
- 5.Leadership and Innovation
Goal: NAEYC cultivates leadership and incubates innovative strategies that propel the field, profession, and systems of early learning.
- Strong leadership capacity is present throughout NAEYC components, membership, volunteers, and staff.
- Early childhood programs and professionals throughout the world have access to NAEYC’s resources, content, and early childhood systems expertise. All work is grounded in sound fiscal and legal business practices.
- NAEYC serves as a catalyst and consensus builder for complex and controversial issues to generate new knowledge and understanding.
- NAEYC is a reliable and productive collaborator and partner.
Site for online presentation proposals: